Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Beauty for Ashes

Today I was reading the Bible and I started thinking about the times it talks about God taking the undesirable parts of our lives and making something beautiful of them. It seems like there is always something in us that God needs to work on. We're not perfect after all! I know there are parts of me that are not beautiful because of some flaw in me, but there are also parts of my life that seem out of my control. The one constant in my life, no matter what is going on, is that God is faithful. He is truly a refuge in times of trouble! If I get out of line, He gently nudges me back to where I should be.

Right now, maybe you're feeling poor in spirit, brokenhearted, bound by some worry or fear. Maybe you're mourning a loss. Maybe you've done some things you're not proud of and feel like you're sitting in a mess you've created. Jesus himself quoted some of this passage from Isaiah 61, read it and then give whatever situation you're dealing with over to God. Listen to the compassion that God has for YOU!

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor. Isaiah 61:1-3

When I got to the end of this verse it really stood out to me because last time I wrote I talked about spring and planting time! To me this verse just reiterates how when we surrender before God and allow Him to work and take the junk out of us, He makes us something beautiful, "for the display of His splendor". I don't know about you, but I want Him to do that in me!

Have a great week!

- Dina
I'm still trusting Him! Psalm 113:9

1 comment:

Andreea said...

Hey Dina,

I'm doing the Beth Moore study called "Breaking Free" and the scripture you mentioned here is what she based the whole study on. :) This is such agreat entry!!!

Andreea