In the class I teach for girls at church we are about to study about prayer. Our memory verse will be Philippians 4:6,7 (NIV):
Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
With that in mind I decided to study this verse in depth. This happens to be my very favorite scripture, and one I try to live by daily, so I'm sure I've probably quoted it in this blog before and may have even studied it before, but I just wanted to study it again, so here goes:
Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God.
And God's peace (shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace) which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Life application notes:
God's peace is different from the world's peace, true peace is not found in positive thinking, in absence of conflict, or in good feelings. It comes from knowing that God is in control. Our citizenship in Christ's kingdom is sure, our destiny is set, we can have victory over sin. Let God's peace guard your heart against anxiety.
1. Don't worry about anything
INSTEAD OF WORRYING:
2. Pray, tell God what you need and want
3. be thankful, have a good attitude
4. leave your requests and burdens in God's hands
5. expect God's peace to guard your heart and mind
6. if you start to worry again, pray and give your need to God again
So what am I trading?
- to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts, fret
- to torment with cares, anxieties, etc, trouble, plague
- a worried condition or feeling; uneasiness or anxiety
- to disturb or interfere with someone's comfort or peace of mind
- to cause anxiety, apprehension or care
- to feel or express worry, annoyance, discontent or the like
- to torment, irritate annoy or vex
- an irritated state of mind, annoyance, or vexation
- distress or uneasiness of mind caused by fear of danger or misfortune
- fear, foreboding, worry, disquiet
- a state of uneasiness and apprehension as about future uncertainties
anxiety suggests feelings of fear and apprehension, worry implies persistent doubt or fear, care denotes a state of mind burdened by heavy responsibilities, a concern is serious thought combined with emotion.
- a devout petition to God
- a spiritual communion with God as in supplication, thanksgiving, adoration, and confession
- a petition, entreaty
- a reverent petition made to God
- a fervent request
- a conversation with God in direct address to Him
- a request made for somthing
- a respectful or humble request as to a superior or to one of those in authority
- a supplication or prayer
- the act of giving thanks
- grateful acknowledgement of benefits or favors, especially to God
- expression of gratitude
- state of mutual harmony between people or groups
- cessation of or freedom from any strife or dissension
- freedom of the mind from annoyance, distraction, anxiety, an obsession, etc.
- tranquility, serenity, untroubled, content
- state of tranquility or quiet
Proverbs 12:25 - Anxiety in a man's heart weighs it down, but an encouraging word makes it glad.
1 Peter 5:7 - Casting the whole of your care (all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all) on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares for your watchfully.
If your burdened down with cares, worries, or anxieties today, I hope that you will take a minute and bring them before God. Take your burdens to the Lord and leave them in His capable hands! Trust Him to meet every need you have! He cares for you!